As an attempt to start up some new family traditions we decided to create a gingerbread house for Christmas. That project eventually merged into this year’s Christmas card project.
This is the kind of project that has the potential to go totally banana out-of-bounds. It almost did and we’re getting to that soon. For now, let’s see how it all started out on the good side.
Filling the window frames with melted sugar got us some nice tinted window panes.
Also did a Christmas tree and later some chairs (not in this picture).
I decorated the walls before gluing the whole thing together (with burnt sugar). In case you wonder about the weird placement of the window on the gable – it’s half a stair above the ground floor to let light into one of the two staircases.
At this moment I started spraying frosting onto the roof. Big mistake – big mistake! The eggwhite I used to glue the decorations with softened the roof and it caved in (no picture on that – too frustrated to bring out the camera).
So, I had to bake a new roof, this time decorating it before glueing it to the house. The icicles are added after the roof’s put into place though. To add finish, we added a marzipan snow man, frosting chimney smoke and some LED lights inside the house.
This is the picture used as a base for the card. From here, all we needed was the residents – and a nice environement. As you see, Henry was at his best photo-shoot mood.
The hat Lotta was putting on snowman’s head unfortunately held up its shape badly, but you can’t have everything.
I tried hard not to look like a total idiot. Don’t know how well I fared.
For some reason I didn’t wear shoes on my picture and I had already started working on it so I didn’t want to reshoot. I added the shoes separately.
Okay, time to bring all of this into Pixelmator. I googled up a stock snowy landscape image, gauss-blurred it and dropped it in. I think it does a pretty decent job putting us all in a nice winter wonderland.